I received my BSc and MSc degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Tehran , Iran in 1988 and 1991 respectively, and my PhD from Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK in 1998.
My research interests include: Supervisory Control of Discrete-Event Systems, Robust Control, Fuzzy Logic, Neural Networks, Neurofuzzy Systems, Genetic Algorithms, and Smart Grid Control Applications.
مقالات به زبان فارسي
1. Noorbakhsh, M. and Ali A. Afzalian, “Decentralized DES Supervisory Control for Coordination of Under Load tap-Changing Transformers and Static VAR Compensators ” Asian Journal of Control, John Wily, (accepted)
2. Mirzai Mohammad A. and Afzalian, Ali A., A Novel Fault Locator System; Algorithm, Principle and Practical Implementation, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.25, no.1, pp.35-46, Jan. 2010
3. Mirzaei M. and Afzalian, Ali. A., Hybrid modeling and control of a synchronous DC-DC converter, International Journal on Power Electronics, Vol. 1, No., 2008. pp. 414 – 433.
4. Afzalian, Ali A., A. Navabi Niaki, W.M. Wonham, and M. R Iravani, Discrete-Event Systems Supervisory Control for a Dynamic Flow Controller, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2009, pp. 219 – 230..
5. Afzalian, Ali A., A. Saadatpoor, and W.M. Wonham, Systematic Supervisory Control Solutions for Under-load Tap-Changing Transformers, Control Engineering Practice - Elsevier, 16 (2008) 1035 - 1054.
6. Afzalian, Ali A and D A Linkens, Training of Neurofuzzy Power System Stabilisers Using Genetic Algorithms,International-Journal-of-Electrical-Power-&-Energy-Systems. vol. 22, no. 2; Feb. 2000; pp. 93-102 (Abstract)
Chapters in Books:
1. Afzalian Ali A, M Noorbakhsh and W.M. Wonham, Supervisory Control for Under-load Tap-changing Transformers Using Discrete-Event Systems (Chapter ) Discrete Event Simulations, ISBN: 978-953-307-115-2, Publisher: Sciyo, Publishing, August 2010
2. Afzalian Ali A and D A Linkens, Design and Tuning a Neurofuzzy Power System Stabiliser Using Genetic Algorithms, (Chapter 13) Practical Applications of Soft Computing in Engineering (FLSI Soft Computing Series - Volume 4). World Scientific Publishing Co. ISBN: 981-02-4523-8 ; 2001; pp. 287-310
1. Heidari E., Ali A. Afzalian and M. Khederzadeh, Optimal Power Flow and Dynamic Flow Controller Using Imperialist Competitive Algorithm, IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference (EPEC 2011), Winnipeg, MB, Canada, October 3-5, 2011, pp. 255-260
2. Sobhi Baniardalani, Javad Askari and Ali A. Afzalian, A Novel Analytical Framework for Qualitative Model-Based Fault Diagnosis 8th IEEE International Conference on Control and Automation, Xiamen, China, June 9-11, 2010
3. Sobhi Baniardalani, Javad Askari and Ali A. Afzalian, Event Scheduling of Timed Automata Using Dioid Algebra, 8th IEEE International Conference on Control and Automation, Xiamen, China, June 9-11, 2010
4. Pourmohammad, S. and Afzalian, Ali A.; Extracting fuzzy If-Then rules using a neural network identifier with application to Boiler-Turbine system, 18th IEEE Conference Control Applications, (CCA) & Intelligent Control, (ISIC), 2009 , Saint Petersburg, Russia, July 8-10, 2009
5. M. Noorbakhsh, Ali A. Afzalian, Modeling and synthesis of DES supervisory control for coordinating ULTC and SVC, Proceedings of the 2009 conference on American Control Conference (ACC'09), June 2009, pp. 14759 – 4764.
6. Mirzaei M. and Afzalian, Ali. A, Hybrid Modeling of the Non-inverting Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter, International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, COEX, Seoul, Korea Oct. 14-17, 2008
7. Mirzaei M. and Afzalian, Ali. A, Explicit Model Predictive Control of the Non-inverting Buck Boost DC-DC Converter, International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, COEX, Seoul, Korea Oct. 14-17, 2008
8. Afzalian, Ali A., M. Noorbakhsh, and A. Navabi Niaki, PLC Implementation of Decentralized Supervisory Control for Dynamic Flow Controller, 17th IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, San Antonio, Texas, USA, September 3-5, 2008, pp. 522-527.
9. Salehi, M. and A. Afzalian, Robust _-Synthesis and H∞-Loop Shaping Controllers for a Boiler-Turbine Unit, 2008 IEEE Region 5 Conference, Kansas City, MO, 2008
10. Salehi, M. and A. Afzalian, Robust H∞ Control Design For a Boiler-Turbine Unit, International Conference on Smart Manufacturing Application, April. 9-11, 2008 in KINTEX, Gyeonggi-do, Korea , pp. 520-525
11. Noorbakhsh, M. and Ali A. Afzalian, Design and PLC based Implementation of Supervisory Control for Under-load Tap-Changing Transformers, International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, Oct. 2007, Seoul, Korea
12. Afzalian, Ali A. and A. Navabi Niaki, Hierarchical DES Supervisory Control Approach to Microgrid Energy Systems, 21th International Power Systems Conference (PSC'06), 2006, Tehran, Iran.
13. Afzalian, Ali A., A. Saadatpoor, and W.M. Wonham, Discrete-event system modeling and supervisory control for under-load tap-changing transformers, IEEE International Conference on Control Applications (CCA'06), 2006, Munich, Germany.
14. Saadatpoor, A. , A. Afzalian, , and W.M. Wonham, Timed Discrete-Event System Supervisory Control For Under-Load Tap-Changing Transformers, 3rd International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics, August 2006, Setubal, Portugal.
15. Afzalian, Ali A. and W.M. Wonham, Discrete-Event System Supervisory Controller Design for an Electrical Power Transmission Network, 14th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE'06), 2006. Tehran, Iran.
16. Afzalian, Ali A., "An Introduction to Broadband Powerline Communication (PLC) Systems", PWUT Signal Magazine, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 48 - 53, October 2004.
17. B Dehghan Shibany and A. Afzalian, Ali A Fuzzy Logic System for Fault Diagnosis in Electrical Power Substations, 5th Conference on Intelligent Systems (CIS 2003), Ferdousi University of Mashhad, October, 2003.
18. Afzalian, Ali A. and M Khederzadeh, Applications of Neural Networks in Electrical Power Systems – A Survey, Fourth Irano-Armenian Workshop on Neural Networks, Institute for studies in Theoretical science and Mathematics (IPM), Tehran, Iran, May 20 - 22, 2002 (Abstract).
19. Afzalian, Ali A. and D A Linkens, Fuzzy Perceptrons for Function Approximation, 9th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering. ICEE'01. Tehran, Iran; 2001; 4 vol. pp. 8-1 8-12, vol.4(Abstract)
20. Afzalian, Ali A., Gradient Descent-based Learning Methods for Fuzzy Perceptrons, 7th UK Workshop on Fuzzy Systems.. , Sheffield, UK, October 2000; pp. 31-35 (Abstract).
21. Afzalian, Ali A. and D A Linkens, Genetic Algorithms for Selecting the Parameters of a Neurofuzzy Controller, 6th European Congress on Intelligent Techniques and Soft Computing.EUFIT'98. Verlag Mainz, Aachen, Germany; 1998; 3 vol. xxvi+2010 pp. 701-6, vol.1 (Abstract).
22. Afzalian, Ali A. and D A Linkens, Neurofuzzy Power System Stabiliser based on GA Learning,Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Soft Computing and Information/Intelligent Systems. Methodologies for the Conception, Design and Application of Soft Computing. Fukuoka, Japan, 1998; 2 vol. xlii+1030 pp. 151-4 vol.1 (Abstract).
23. Afzalian, Ali A. and D A Linkens, Self-Organizing Fuzzy Perceptrons Applied to Power System stability, Proceedings of the 1997 Annual Meeting of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society, NAFIPS'97,New York, U.S.A., pp. 341-346, 1997, (Abstract).
24. D A Linkens, Ali. A. Afzalian , A New Fuzzy Logic Power System Stabiliser (PSS), Proceedings of the EUFIT'96, September 1996, Aachen, Germany, pp. 1999 - 2003. (Abstract).
25. D A Linkens, Ali A. Afzalian, Ali A Neuro-Fuzzy Power System Stabiliser, Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent and Cognitive Systems, September 1996, ISRI at IPM, Tehran, Iran, pp. 106 - 111. (Abstract).